Customizing your LinkedIn profile URL can help you a lot more than you think. In this post I am going to explain the advantages of modifying your URL and how to do it easily.
LinkedIn has always given the option to customize the LinkedIn URL, but amazingly, very few users take advantage of it. Learn from our article how to change your LinkedIn URL and we assure you that customizing it can bring you numerous benefits.
What exactly is the profile URL and how can you see yours?
Your profile URL is neither more nor less than the web address that appears in your browser when your LinkedIn professional profile is viewed.
When someone opens a profile on LinkedIn, a unique URL is automatically generated that gives access to that profile.
How Can you Find out What the URL of your Profile is?
When you have logged into LinkedIn, you just have to go to the “Me” section of the top menu that will take you to your LinkedIn profile. In the top bar of the page, you will find your URL.
How is the URL automatically generated?
The URL that I just showed you is a good example of a custom URL, I’ll explain how to do it later.
But when it is generated automatically and by default when opening a new profile on this social network, it is not so simple and practical to remember and type in a browser. As they say, it is not “friendly” at all. The normal thing is that a series of numbers and / or letters are added after your name, which are not easy to remember. Let’s see an example:
Custom URL: does it really help me?
Of course, changing your URL will not make your profile ideal for an employer. Linked profile optimization services like LPWS can help you with this. But customizing your profile URL is something I highly recommend. I can assure you that optimizing it can benefit you in multiple aspects. Let’s see:
- Helps you rank better in search engines: a “clean” URL will help you rank your LinkedIn profile when someone searches for your name on Google. Above all, it will help you in the case that there are professionals with a name very similar to yours, where having a clean URL, you have a better chance of appearing before them.
- Your profile will look more professional: you may think that nobody looks at the URLs of the profiles, but I assure you that there are those who do look at these details. A custom URL will certainly look more professional.
- It is shorter: when customizing it it will probably be shorter, and therefore it will be easier to insert it in your CV or emails, giving a better appearance than if it were not optimized.
- It is easier to remember: remembering a series of numbers and letters is much more difficult than remembering a name and surname.
Characteristics of LinkedIn URLs
Before explaining the simple steps you must follow to customize the URL on LinkedIn, you have to know the characteristics of it:
- The first thing to consider is the length of the URL. The most appropriate thing is that it is not an extremely long URL, although LinkedIn allows you to use 100 characters.
- The URL is not case sensitive. So if you write your name “Elena-Sanchez” the redirection of the link will take you to the same profile as if you write “elena-sanchez” or “ELENA-SANCHEZ”.
- It is possible that the URL you want to put is not available because someone else is already using it on their LinkedIn profile. This is usually very common in people with common names and surnames.
- Not convinced by the URL you have customized? LinkedIn gives you the option that you can modify it up to 5 times in a period of 6 months. In the event that you have modified your URL a fifth time, you will not be able to change it again for another 6 months.
- Have you ever opened a LinkedIn profile and found the message “Profile not found”? These pages are generated if someone personalizes your profile with that URL and then “leaves” it.
How should you customize URLs on LinkedIn?
The URL that LinkedIn automatically generates is the union of the name you have included and a series of numbers and letters. As you may have already understood, this does not add any value. So I’m going to tell you what I recommend to customize the URL of your profile:
- Include your first and last name. Why not two? A short URL is always friendlier than a long one. But it will depend on how “differentiating” just a surname is.
- DO NOT ADD EMOTICONS or symbols or special characters! LinkedIn does not allow it 😀
- You can put spaces or write it all together. If your name or keyword is very long you will probably need to put all the words together.
Follow these simple steps to customize your profile URL:
- Go to your LinkedIn profile by clicking on the “Me” section in the top menu of the page.
- When you are in your profile, you will see that, in the upper right part of the page, there is a box in which it says “Edit URL and public profile”.
- After clicking on it, a new tab will open with all your profile information. If you look at the right side, at the top you will see “Edit URL”. You can click on the blue pencil symbol.
- From here, it’s up to you to decide the modification you want to make.
As I have explained in this post, customizing your URL can be of great help on LinkedIn, much more than it seems at first glance. If you don’t have the custom profile URL yet… Get on with it! For any questions, I wait for you attentively in the comments.